History

Conowingo Dam being built. View from Harford County looking towards Cecil Couny circa 1927. Note that the Powerhouse section as well as the center section of the Dam is still being constructed. Photo supplied by Exelon Power.
Conowingo bridge being blasted ,falling into to Susquehanna River at the town of Conowingo. Photo from Exelon Power.
This view of the town of Conowingo is just before the lake was filled. Note that the Railroad bridge behind the town is complete(5 holes/Conowingo Creek). Also the old Conowingo Bridge has been blasted off it’s supports and the remains lay in the river. We boat over these remains today. Photo supplied by Exelon Power.
View of Conowingo Bridge after destruction in 1927 before the Conowingo Dam was finished.
Details on Conowingo Bridge destruction 1927
Two story Cabin located on Sicily/Baker Island-See map on Islands below location #2. This photo was taken before the “Big Shot of 1907″.
Rock formation blasted in the “Big Shot of 1907″
Photo of the “Big Shot of 1907″. In 1907 the Railroad tracks were being raised to higher ground. To do this blasting was required. This was done at location #6 on the Island Map below. Photo supplied by Jay Mackley.
Another view of the “Big Shot of 1907″ blast. Photo supplied by Jay Mackley.
Photo of the two story Cabin on Sicily/Baker Island after the “Big Shot of 1907″ Blast. Note that the first floor is gone and that there are holes in the roof. Only the second floor remains. Thanks to Jay Mackley for the photo.
Photo of “Old Hotel” on the Lancaster side at the Islands. See #4&5 on the Island Map. When the Railroad raised the railroad tracks in 1907 they moved the hotel across the tracks to this location. Photo from Jay Mackley.
A rear view of the “Old Hotel” at location #4&5 on the Island map. Note the old foundation of the hotel to the right of the railroad tracks. The Railroad moved the Hotel across the tracks when the tracks were relocated. Photo supplied by Jay Mackley.
Island Location Map for photos.
Details of Locks 12 & 13 On the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal.
Flintville Rd. was moved to higher ground with the coming of the Conowingo Lake. The “Old Red Covered Bridge” over Broad Creek had to be destroyed as a result. In Oct.1927 the New Flintville Rd. “Steel Bridge” was completed. The attached photo shows the Steel Bridge when it was first completed BEFORE the Conowingo Lake was filled. Please note the depth of the valley back then. Also note that under the right side of the bridge you will see the old Flintville Rd. Behind the bridge on the right you will also see the roof of one of the Whiteford Flint Mill buildings. In 1997 the Steel Bridge was destroyed and replaced with the bridge we have today. Photo was supplied by the Historical Society of Harford County,Inc.
Overview of different land grants/holdings that were in the Broad Creek Valley.
Susquehanna Canal Aqueduct OVER Broad Creek
Layout of the Broad Creek area of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal. Upper right would be the mouth of Broad Creek as we see it today. Please note the Dam across this area with a canal lock. The dam and lock were owned by the Trenton Flint and Spar Company. It was used to ship product produced at their flint mill located further up Broad Creek. Also note on the map the area where Broad Creek entered into the Susquehanna River. In that area the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal crossed “over” Broad Creek via an aqueduct. Drawing by Richard Sherrill, The Historical Society of Harford County.
Cecil County View 1927
Photo from the Cecil County Side of the Conowingo Dam as it is being built.
Ad from 1955
Conowingo Dam 1927
View of Conowingo Dam from Cecil County Approx. 1927
Third World Power Conference 1936
Washington D. C. Third World Power Conference attendees tour the Conowingo Dam 1936.

Your Guide to the Merry Land of Maryland